Tuesday 13 March 2007

Almost ready to start quilting again!

Delta, more photos for you at the end. Thanks for your comments.

The new house is just about organised. I think the only unpacking left is in the studio, and I can't really start on till we get the cupboards and bookshelves built. So...there is nothing to stop from starting to quilt again. I have the labels on the 4 quilts for the state exhibition and have bags made for 3 of them. I have to make a calico bag for the 4th one and that's that job done. Now where shall I start? I have an urge to quilt rather that piece or applique so I might get out some of the tops I have stored for occasions like this. Some people might call them ufo's, but not me. May not be today though. I'll have to figure out how to use the sewing machine with my left leg elevated.


Last Thursday I had a little accident. I was hanging out washing and the cat decided he wanted to help. The result? I tripped over him and landed on the concrete on my left knee. Murray took me to the hospital where they took 5 xrays of it. They don't think I broke anything but can't tell if there are hairline fractures until the swelling goes down. At the moment I have some rather spectacular bruising but a lot of the swelling has gone. I was lucky, I think. Trev the wondercat must have a few bald patches as there were a few clumps of his fur left on the ground. Poor thing hid for hours afterward, probably keeping out of my way in case I did something else to him. Rose, if you're reading this - it's not as bad as Mum might tell you ha ha.
A few of the people on my local quilting group had the book Convergence Quilts by Ricky Tims. We got together one Saturday and made a quilt top each using his method. Mine looked a bit 'green' in the top corner so I added the circles at the opposite corner to balance it a bit more. then I added a few more in other colours, then a few more - you know how it goes. I was still in feather quilting mode so I decided to quilt a feather spiral on it. I marked the spine of the spiral then did all the feathering free hand. I then decided it wasn't bright enough so stitched all the beads on, which took as much time as everything else put together! I'm still not sure I like it, but I'm not going to change it now. What do you think? Does it work?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not a big fan of the convergence craze, but I do like your take. Love (am envious of, and inspired by) your quilting.

Anonymous said...

Love how you took the convergence idea a bit further. Great quilt!

Delta said...

I absolutely think it works. The combination of the angles and circles play really well together and I love how you brought the circles to the bottom and left, and added the beaded spiral to the green.