Saturday 4 April 2009

fuchsia fantasy

At the end of February I went to the Australasian Quilt Convention in Melbourne and did a class with Jane Sassaman. I LOVED the class! I won't go into details about the class - you'll just have to buy her book called 'The Quilted Garden', which has just been reprinted. I took lots of photos of fuchsias with me and designed this quilt using the photos for inspiration. The whole process was so much fun, and I have drawn up a few more designs using the same flowers. I could make a series of fuchsia quilts without even thinking about moving on to any other flowers!

So I loaded the photos backwards. There's a couple of views of the back of the quilt showing the free motion quilting, then a couple of closeups of the front, then a full view of the front. I couldn't get the colour right in the full view - the first closeup is closest to the actual colour. All the fabrics for the flowers and leaves is my own hand dyed cotton, and the blue background is one of the Moda Marbles range.

Please leave a comment and let me know what you think.

















11 comments:

Sew Little Fabric said...

very cool!! I just love your colours! very inspiring
Paula x

Julie said...

Your work is stunning! I especially admire your free motion quilting.

Fran said...

Very bold and dramatic, love it!
hugz,

Anonymous said...

great quilt! AGAIN, your quilting is exquisite!! I'm looking forward to Jane's class in February. Any tips? Should I begin taking lots of photos NOW?? = Gale in florida/usa

Di said...

Fabulous work, Cat. I love the vibrant colours, and your free motion quilting is gorgeous - especially the feather work on the 'trumpet' part of the fuchsia.

Vicki W said...

It's terrific - I really love your quilting.

Linda Laird said...

Dear Cat,
Your free motion quilting is gorgeous--what a great variety of shapes! I love fuchsias, too, but I've never seen them in a quilt. You got their shapes just right, and I like the colors you used, esp. the red sort-of plaid.

Keep up the good work!
Linda Laird
San Diego, CA

remote ramblings said...

Hi Cat,
this is a lovely quilt - and I agree that fushias have unlimited design potential.
I'm very impressed with your quilting and the design is great.
I'm still finishing my monthly challange themes and enjoying the process of taking on new ideas and techniques. I find the ideas and inspiration are coming through in my current quilts - all UFO's! but I finally unpacked my machine this week so I'm hoping for greater progress,
I hope your well, best wishes Jill

Stephanie Newman said...

Hi Cat,
Hey its come on since I saw it in the workshop! You are good finishing yours so quickly, my beetroots are on a small design board upstairs waiting for some time for me to work on it, whilst the prickly succulents wink at me from within their little storage box! Have been distracted with making comfort quilts for vic fire relief, building a Grace Frame and piecing some other tops. Its on my to-do list though!

Anonymous said...

Just gorgeous - fantastic quilting too!

Fiona in Freo

Banaghaisge said...

FABULOUS quilting Cat!!! The front is gorgeous too, but I am so impressed with the photos of the backs - best way to load them, too!
Thanks for adding your blog addie to your email - I wish everyone automatically did that...
Hugs,
Jasmine