Monday 27 June 2011

africa quilt for my sister

When Mr Stone House Quilter and I went to the big quilt festival in Chicago in 2007, we picked up quite a few different bits of African fabric.  I also had some ordinary quilt fabric with African inspired designs which fitted in with it.  When my sister Rose saw them she really liked them so I decided to make her a wall quilt for Christmas last year.  It is a sort of design-as-you-go quilt.  You know the kind - if a piece of fabric is too short, sew something else on the end of it; if a piece of fabric is too long, chop a bit off.  Great fun!  I pieced all sorts of wonky blocks into it as well as odd shaped strips of varying lengths and widths.  The quilting was mostly just a freehand spiral.

Sorry about the blurry photos...





3 comments:

Stephanie Newman said...

Fun quits, Cat! Missed you at the guild meeting- but I can see you have been busy quilting and meeting all sorts of African animals- lucky thing!!

Jillian Olver said...

Hi Cat, what a fantastic quilt - I lived in Zimb for many years and love African inspired quilts. I was part of your monthly challange and often think of you when I see the blocks - now book covers that I made. Hope you are well and not too cold Jill

Melinda said...

I love your quilt. Rose is very lucky.