Friday, 28 June 2013
I don't think I ever posted photos of this quilt from a few years ago. It's my own design that originated from a challenge between my friend Judi and I. We each used a photo and traced some of the lines from the photo onto tracing paper, then simplified the lines even further by erasing some of them. We then cut a 1" square hole in a larger piece of cardboard and moved the cardboard over the drawing until we found a section that seems to have interesting design possibilities. The drawing takes on a completely different look when you can only see a 1" square section at a time. We had to expand the design from the little section we'd chosen, without referring back to the original photo. It was a very interesting exercise. This quilt was the result. I did the quilting on my Husky rather than the longarm, as I didn't think I'd be able to do all the echo quilting as well as I would like on the longarm. I wrote up the pattern for it last year and it was published in Australian Patchwork and Quilting magazine.
Sunday, 23 June 2013
I made this little quilt as a practice for a larger quilt I want to make. I tried out a few new things on this quilt - I did all the applique and quilting on my longarm quilting machine. The tiny little circles around the flowers and the mock buttonhole kind of stitch on the leaves took f-o-r-e-v-e-r to do but I'm quite pleased with the way they came out.